Frequently asked questions

Here are some frequently asked questions with our answers (click on the question to view the answer). For further information, please call the FirstStop Care Advice Line on 0800 377 7070 (from mobiles/overseas call: +44 203 519 6002), or email

Can my relative be forced to go into a care home against their wishes?

If your relative can make their own decisions

If your relative has the mental capacity to make decisions, they cannot be forced to go into a care home. However, if their needs mean that they need care in a care home, the council Social Services may ask them to sign a disclaimer to say that the risks involved in returning to their own home have been accepted. The council Social Services may agree to provide a package of care up to cost of the level of the care home fees they usually pay. If they do not agree to this, it should be made quite clear in writing why they were unable to provide these services.

If your relative cannot make their own decisions

If your relative has difficulties with mental capacity and is unable to make an informed choice about their living arrangements, the council Social Services could apply for a Guardianship Order in accordance with the Mental Health Act 1983. This would mean that the older person would need to remain in a place of safety, such as a suitable care home whilst the order was in place. The council Social Services would have to reapply for the Guardianship Order to be renewed after six months if it was assessed that your relative should stay there longer.

If your relative has dementia

If your relative has dementia and it is unclear how much they understand it may be difficult for the council Social Services and the relatives to come to the right decision about the older person's care needs. As with all Needs Assessments, it is particularly important to ensure that everyone involved in planning the care is consulted for their view or professional opinion. Regular reviews should take place so that the care can be adjusted and altered according to any changing needs. The older person could only be made to remain in a place of safety if the council Social Services were to take steps under the Mental Health Act 1983. This option should only be followed when all other possibilities to meet the care needs have been explored. Your relative may find that independent advocacy helps them to get their wishes and opinions heard. Some independence advocates are trained specifically to work with people who have dementia, who are often assumed not to be able to give their opinion about care. For more information, see our factsheet Independent Advocacy .
Download our factsheet: Memory loss, 'confusion', depression and dementia

< back to questions

New FirstStop partnership extends across Lancashire
New FirstStop partnership extends across Lancashire

A partnership agreement between FirstStop and Preston Care & Repair, signed on 1st July 2015, aims to imp

HOOP tool makeover unveiled
HOOP tool makeover unveiled

This week sees the launch of an upgrade to EAC’s popular online HOOP tool - both the national or universa

Bookmark and Share