Government, through the Communities and Local Government Committee, have set up a web forum to hear directly from older people about their experiences of moving home in later life. They are looking to hear from those who are considering a move, have moved or have decided not to move. The aim is for the committee to better understand the challenges people face, which will help them focus their inquiry on the key issues that are affecting older people and their families.
We believe that accessible and independent information & advice is essential when exploring your housing options and this web forum is a great opportunity to share with Government your experience of moving home in later life. Whether you have explored the options of moving yourself, or have supported a family member to do so, we would encourage you to share your experience.
The committee are looking for views on the follows points in particular:
• Have you moved home recently or are you considering doing so? If so, why?
• Have you considered moving and then decided against it? What were the reasons for this?
• Do you know where to obtain information and advice about moving? Have you ever sought this type of advice?
• What are your experiences of obtaining finance to move?
• Have you experience of adapting your home to make it more accessible? How did you go about this and did you seek advice in doing so?
• How do you feel your home affects your health and wellbeing? Have you experienced an improvement in your health and wellbeing as a result of moving?
If you would like to participate in this web forum, you can find out more on the Government website.
The web forum closed on the 1st of Dcember 2017.
If you work for an organisation that supports older people, we would encourage you to circulate this message around your network.